Sunday, March 27, 2016

Escalation 500 game 1

I should mention that my opponent at this game was very new. As in: literally his first game ever.

My list:
Warboss "Kon Kushin "
-Bike
-Power klaw
-Finkin' Kap

Gretchin
No upgrades

Boyz
-Nob
--Power klaw
--Boss pole

Deffkopta
-Rokkit

Bikes
- +3 bikers
-Nob
--big choppa
--boss pole

Looted Wagon
-Kill kannon
-X3 Rokkit launchas
-Ram

His list:
Wolf Lord
-Wolf claw
-Combi melta

Grey hunters
-Power fist

Grey hunters
-no upgrades (Wolf Lord goes here)

Thunderwolf cavalry
-no upgrades

The game was tactical escalation.
I forgot to use da Finkin Kap completely
He deployed both units of hunters in some tall ruins in the right corner of his zone and his cavalry in the on the left.
I deployed my boyz in the wagon on the left of my map (facing the thundercav) then the rest of my stuff at the maximum distance forward on my right (facing grey hunters).

He goes first, moves the cavalry up and ends the turn.

I move up my kopta to an objective to score for the turn, shimmy my bikes up 12 inches, and start a congo line of grots between two objectives. I completely forgot to move my wagon and in the shooting phase was reminded of that when some git inside pushed the big red button and caused the wagon to lurch forward over terrain for 6 inches. The ram helped not get stuck, definitely worth the 5 points. For the rest of my shooting phase, I turbo my bikes up, and ran the grots, keeping the kopta next to the objective and in cover.
I score the objective my kopta was sitting on.

His turn 2, he shuffled the hunter squad with the Lord around the corner of his ruin and took a couple of bolter shots at my bikes with both units, killing one bike. The thundercav moved forward, sticking to some trees for cover, but couldn't quite get close enough to charge. He ends the turn without scoring.

My turn 2, i pull two objective cards, one is currently controlled by grots, the other is within reach of the wagon. I mistakenly disembark my boys from the wagon, thinking i had enough range to charge this turn, and then move my bikes closer to the grey hunter squad that's on the ground. I forgo shooting with my bikes so i can make my charge distance easier (only one grey hunter was visible, the others were wrapped around the corner of the ruin). i took a shot with my killkannon at the thundercav, expecting to completely miss and scatter horribly but instead got 3 hits! Scored 2 wounds and nuked one if the cav right off the table. In the assault, i charged.with my bikes, taking no loses in overwatch, and killing a hunter with my hammers of wrath. Now, something i had forgotten, was that his Wolf Lord with a wolf claw was in the unit... The Lord rolled like a god, hitting and killing 4 of my bikers and putting a wound on my nob, the grey hunters put another 2 wounds on Kushin because i didn't want to lose more attacks... Swinging back, i wiff with my boy bikers and nob, and Kushin knocks the hunters unit down to the wolf lord and one hunter thanks to his klaw. Passing leadership, we stay stuck in. End of turn, i capture both my objectives.

His turn 3, he moves his cav up towards my boys to charge them, and moves his other unit of grey hunters off the ruin to get closer to our close combat. He skips his shooting and goes right for the assault phase.
Now, at this point, i realize how stupid of me it was to charge the grey hunter unit with the lord in there. I was kicking myself because i knew i should've just kited them and shot them every turn. But i didn't, so now i have to deal with the real possibility of his lord tickling Kushin to death with his wolf claw, and then taking out the rest of my boys with what's left and his fresh grey hunter unit thats just about to charge.
Back to the game: he fails the charge distance for his other unit of hunters! (Sigh of relief) and makes the distance to get in with my boys with his thundercav. Overwatch gives me nothing, and the cav with all their attacks wipe my unit down to a single boy and the nob at full health. The nob strikes with his klaw and takes a eound off of each rider. End of combat, i pass morale! Thanks mob rule! (Probably never going to say that again.)
Now, at the important combat, the wolf Lord completely misses with every single attack, even after master crafted (unsure of how he got this, but it didn't help!) and the grey hunter did the same! Kushin cracked his knuckles and slaughtered the hunter and the Lord while laughing his ass off, winning the assault, and consolidating back away from the other hunter squad (they have a power fist in there, afterall.) he ends the turn without scoring anything again.

My turn 3: i pull 3 objectives for markers i can grab (one is held by my grots, the other my wagon again, and the third can be grabbed by my kopter). I move and turbo boost the kopter to the objective, and move my bikes around the grey hunters to get a good angle on them to snipe the sargent out, which i do, taking another hunter with him. In the assault phase, i just charge them since there's nothing to worry about anymore and sweep them off the table. As for my nob with the thundercav, i guess the cav felt the Lord dying and just felt such grief that they only succeeded in killing the boy and taking a wound off the nob (whew, that's close! Another time i fully expected to die outright.) and the nob swept through the cav, WINNING assault, and giving me a win for the game by tabling Gauntlets.

Pretty crazy game, and a great one to start learning Orks with! I definitely made mistakes, but Lady Luck forgave them.

No comments:

Post a Comment